Cockroach control is probably one of the toughest things to manage once an infestation occurs. They can thrive in very limited and basic conditions. In order for us to understand how do we get rid of cockroaches we first need to understand how do we attract cockroaches to our homes?
There are a few main causes leading to cockroach infestation;
- Poor/low domestic hygiene.
- Irregular/no pest control measures.
- Food stored in uncovered containers.
- They can survive in limited conditions and multiply very fast.
Cockroach control is not as simple as just spraying insecticide or repellants. These pests can and will get into all things, they reproduce quickly and can survive for months without food and water. Cockroaches can be a struggle but with the right tools it can make the process of getting rid of them a bit easier. The best way to get rid of cockroaches would be with professional help. Sanitization and cleanliness is probably the most important step in preventing cockroaches. Hiring a Pest Control agent will render fruitless and a waste of your money if you do not keep your residence clean. You must remove the objects which attracts these pests to your home.
Remove Food Sources
- Kitchen Appliances.These pests can live off the scrubs and grease left behind from dirty dishes or kitchen utensils. It is important to clean behind all large kitchen appliances regularly (fridges, freezer, stove, etc.).
- Store food in sealable containers.Cockroaches can get through small spaces and hence they can get into open packets of teabags, chips, rice, etc.
- Dine in one room.There is no dining in the TV room. Limit eating of various foods to one area in the house and areas where there are no carpets but tiles. This allows for quicker and more effective cleaning.
- More than washing dishes.Ensure that all counters and surface areas worked on are wiped down with cleaning and sanitizing detergent. Ensure that the microwave is cleaned out as well. Sweep or vacuum out the kitchen and dining area.
- Remove leftover pet food.
- Keep your trash bin covered and closed at all times.
Remove Water Supply
- Repair leaking and running taps.
- Dry the basins, baths and showers before going to bed and put the plug back.
- Water dishes used by pets need to be stored correctly.
- Empty drip tray from under refrigerator.
Bay Leaf Roach Repellent
Cockroaches despise the strong smell of bay leaves. This is a homemade repellent that will not kill them but dispel them from your home.
- Use a few handfuls of bay leaves.
- Grind them down to a fine powder.
- Sprinkle this powder in areas where cockroaches have been identified.
Baking Soda and Sugar
Sugar attracts the cockroaches to eat the bait. The baking soda will damage and destroy the intestinal region of the cockroach.
- Combine equal amounts of sugar and baking soda.
- Sprinkle the mixture in different areas where cockroaches have been identified.
- Remove dead cockroaches immediately.
Repeat the process if necessary.
Cockroaches actually breathe through the center (abdominal region) of their bodies. Fabric softener will kill them by making it hard for them to breathe.
- Mix 2 part water with 3 parts fabric softener.
- Pour solution into a spray bottle.
- Apart from spraying this solution directly on cockroaches, you can also spray it into your zinc, basins, behind fridges, freezers, stoves, and furniture.
- Repeat the process as often as desired/required.
For an obligation free quote;
Aaron: 076 509 4708 (West Rand)
Louis: 083 259 4805 or (East Rand)
To rate our Blog or Service: Click Here
Blog powered by: BM Project Solutions