Winter nights can mean a mouse in the house or even a rat. Poisoning isn’t the only way to get rid of them. As winter closes in, mice enter houses more often and rats are seen more frequently in gardens.
House mice and brown rats are most frequent in houses close to city centers, house mice in the suburbs, and field mice in rural areas. Rats and mice are most common in roof spaces, then cellars and cupboards. They can also live in wall spaces. House mice, field mice, and brown rats are common in houses. Of the two mice, the one you’re most likely to encounter at home is the field mouse, as this species is even more common in houses than the house mouse. There are black and brown rats found in South Africa. Black rats are more likely to invade your roof and ceiling cavity, whereas the brown rat will invade the inside of your home.
What problems can they cause?
- Rodents generally cause minor problems in houses – of those with yellow-necked mice, 42 per cent suffer damage to furnishings and internal structures, 31 per cent to food, and 9 per cent to insulation and wiring; 18 per cent suffer no damage.
- Chewing wiring is a particular problem – it can lead to fires and be expensive to repair.
How do I get rid of them?
- Snap traps are generally humane but unpleasant.
- Indoor devices that use electromagnetic interference or ultrasound to drive rats and mice out of houses are useful. But don’t use them if there are bats in the house or roof.
- Prevention is easiest: repair broken air bricks and holes in outside walls, floorboards or skirting boards; tidy up cupboards and remove nesting material.
- Simply contact Eco-Smart Pest Control
Yes, Eco-Smart Pest Control offers ceiling and roof vacuuming.
We remove any dust, dirt and rubble from your ceiling cavity. We then vacuum the cavity and provide a FREE rodent treatment in the ceiling. Finally we spray and Eco-friendly contact residual insecticide on all the surfaces to treat for (but not limited to) dust mites, bird lice, termites and cockroaches.
Optional extra services
On request, and for an additional fee, we can
- Remove and replace old insulation
- Sanitise the cavity using an antifungal and antibacterial spray
- Clean out all gutters
- Household pest control
Please feel free to contact Aaron on 076 509 4708 for an obligation free quotation.
Aaron: 076 509 4708 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Louis: 083 259 4805 or Louis@ecosmartpest.co.za
Blog powered by: BM Project Solutions